1. Bake cinnamon jam donut muffins.
2. Walk to farmer’s market midway through.
3. Play muffin fairy.
I found this recipe and these pictures about a year ago from Tara’s blog, “Should you eat that?“, but I didn’t get around to making them for a while. The first time I did, I loved them, but I used super-thick raspberry preserves. Not a good plan, folks. It was good, but the the filling sank to the bottom and made the whole thing soggy. Try two, I used homemade (not by me) strawberry rhubarb preserves that were on the thin side– and it worked perfectly! So, word to the wise, if your condiment filling of choice is thick or even standard, do yourself a favor and thin it extra before filling.
I bake a lot for the farmers at the market… and have had a lot of success. But when two months later, people still come up to you and say “those are the best muffins I’ve ever had”… well, you know you have to share the recipe.
Cinnamon Jam Donut Muffins
- 2 Cups self raising flour
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1/4 Cup raspberry jam (or your favourite flavor)
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, extra
- 1/3 Cups caster sugar, extra
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a muffin tray with oil.
- Sift together self raising flour & brown sugar. In another bowl mix together butter, eggs & buttermilk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients, mix until just combined (don’t overmix).
- Microwave jam along with caster sugar for about 45 seconds, or until jam has melted and sugar is dissolved, mix thoroughly.
- Half fill muffin holes with muffin mixture and add a little bit of jam before filling up with more muffin mixture. Cook for 8 minutes in oven, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Melt extra butter and mix together extra caster sugar & cinnamon in another bowl. One by one, brush each muffin all over with butter and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture.